|Thank you so much for your support in 2010! It has been a busy year here in Anacostia with new projects (The Hive, Blank Space SE, Eat Shop Live Anacostia), two art galleries (Honfleur & The Gallery at Vivid Solutions) and our custom digital print shop (Vivid Solutions DC Print Lab). We look forward to more events in 2011! Here are just a few Save the Dates…
A LOOK AHEAD IN ANACOSTIA:
January 5th, 11am – 7pm
* Blank Space SE Open House
Blank Space SE, a new permanent creative rental space in Anacostia, will be hosting its first Open House event. The special performance portion is from 5-7pm by Urban Artistry, a non-profit collective of dancers, artists, historians, musicians, folklorists and documentary filmmakers. Also on display is a photo exhibition by Critical Exposure, a non-profit organization that teaches youth to use the power of photography and become effective advocates for school reform and social change. Stop by at lunch or after work to see the new space. The first three people to rent the Blank Space SE during the Open House receive 10% off! For more info contact Lisa Bacon at lbacon or www.blankSPACEse.com
January 14th, 7pm
The following three opening receptions are the same night; come meet the artists and gallery hop East of the River!
* Honfleur Gallery presents New Works by Jordan Kasey
Jordan Kasey is an emerging artist living in Baltimore, Maryland. Her large scale paintings are surreal oil on canvas landscapes and portraits. She grew up in the Chicago area and moved to Baltimore in 2004 to study painting at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA). She graduated in December 2007 and currently works as an Art Handler.
* Upstairs at Honfleur, Controversial Characters of Portraits Past by Eric Finzi and curated by Cheri Landry
Eric Finzi is a dermatological surgeon who uses syringes, propane torches and other nontraditional tools to create epoxy resin paintings. The exhibition includes works from three series, Augustine, Down the Rabbit Hole and Sarah Bernhardt. Controversial Characters of Portraits Past is curated by Cheri Landry, founding director of Divergence Fine Art, a Baltimore based ﬁne art consulting ﬁrm.
* The Gallery at Vivid Solutions presents Chajana denHarding’s A space for the transitory
Chajana denHarder uses photography and interactive installations to investigate changes. In this current exhibition she is simultaneously photographer, subject, and model. Her process involves merging with her subject on film, then editing herself out of the images. Each photograph walks the line between reality and fiction: questioning what is manipulated and what is real.
MORE EVENTS @ :
January 8th, 7pm
* Amy Royce and Briony Hynson guest jury the exhibit “Mixing Bowl” @ The Torpedo Factory’s Target Gallery located at 105 N. Union St.Alexandria, VA 22314
January 21st, 6:30pm
* In partnernship with The Alliance Francaise of Washington, Honfleur & The Gallery at Vivid Solutions present Owen Franken’s photography Retrospective @ The Alliance Francaise located at 2142 Wyoming Ave. NW Washington, D.C. 20008 (please call for reservations 202-234-7911)